Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Tiny Cracks in my Life

This posting is the outcome of a new bookclub I'm participating in called Fit Minded (www.fitminded.com) - it's a women's book club that promotes physical activity and wellness. I am part of a pilot test for a completely online program and submitted this essay for the book club blog. If you are inspired by my story, send an email to info@befitminded.com and ask to be a part of the research study - they are still taking volunteers and your dues will be waived.

---------------------

I was inspired by Dr. Huberty's earlier posting this month about the day she decided to give herself a break. I'm sure her message was really about giving yourself permission to take a day off but what really caught my attention is that her daily workout consists of a 50 minute walk and a yoga session. That's my ideal workout! For years I have been telling myself that wasn't enough - no, no, I really need to start running again. I need REAL cardio.

I hate running. I hate tredmills. I hate road races. I hate to sweat. I hate all of it.

A walk and a yoga session every day would be bliss for me. My big excuse is time. I don't have time for a walk and a yoga session. I am a working mother of two and my husband is often on the road during the week - somedays it is all I can do to make sure everyone has clean clothes, eats something, and gets in bed at a reasonable time...and then I usually fall asleep beside them! And how could I go for a walk when my husband is gone anyway - get a babysitter? Ha!

Today I came home for lunch, put my atheletic socks right on top of my black panty hose, donned my running shoes, and took the dog for a walk. I felt happy the whole time I was doing it. Walking IS good enough (thank you Dr. Huberty!), I DO have time for it, and it's great for my dog too! (My sneakers were remarkably more comfortable than my heels!). Tonight I will do one of my favorite 20 minute sessions from the YogaDownload podcast series and it will be a perfect day.

I can fit fitness into the tiny cracks of my life - I can prioritize how the small moments are spent so that at the end of each day I have done something important for myself. There IS time.

2 comments:

  1. YES! I agree. It's all about making time. I have to admit, I do angle push-ups leaning against the bathroom sink at work as both a stress reliever and to get my blood pumping. A quick set of 15 and I'm back to my desk to tackle my next task!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a common "excuse" we make that we can't find the time to do the many things we desire to do. Balderdash! It's not "finding" the time but rather "making" the time. For inspiration on how well a person made the time to do many, many things, read up on Thomas Jefferson's life's accomplishments. It should be both humbling, when you think of what you've done so far, and hopefully inspiring when you think seriously about what YOU can do by "making" the time! Life is short so fill it up with all you can do all the time.
    A retired Chief Master Sergeant ;-)

    ReplyDelete